A total of 204 players were sold in the 2022 IPL Mega Auction to the 10 franchises combined. All the franchises have strengthened their squads with all the players they need and they are ready for the season to begin. However, as we all know only 11 players can feature in a game of cricket which implies that many players might not get a chance to play even one match in the Indian Premier League despite being sold to a franchise. And this year, the list of players not playing a single match will likely have the names of some star players as well.
In the article, we shall be talking about 5-star players who will probably not play a single match in the Indian Premier League this season.
1. Ajinkya Rahane – Ajinkya Rahane’s form is worsening season after season and as it now stands, he is likely to be permanently removed from India’s Test squad as well. Ajinkya Rahane, who once used to be one of the most key players of Team India across all formats and also of Rajasthan Royals in the IPL, finds it difficult to find a spot in the playing XI. He played just 2 matches in IPL 2021 for Delhi Capitals and just 9 matches in IPL 2020. He will be playing for KKR this season.
2. Tymal Mills – Tymal Mills has been bought by Mumbai Indians in IPL 2022 Mega Auction for a price of 1.5 Crores. However, that does not confirm his spot in their playing XI. Tymal Mills used to play in the Indian Premier League previously for RCB when they bought him in IPL 2017. However, he failed to impress them. Also, his performances on the International stage has not been that great lately and it is doubtful whether Mumbai will use him in even one match.
3. Glen Phillips – Sunrisers Hyderabad bought Glenn Phillips for 1.5 Crores in IPL 2022. He was previously with Rajasthan Royals where he played only 3 matches in IPL 2021. The New Zealand batsman hit the most number of sixes last year in the T20 format and he was thus under the radar of many teams in the Mega Auction. However, with the availability of Aiden Markram and Kane Williamson, it is questionable whether he will play a single match in IPL 2022.
4. Tim Southee – Tim Southee joined KKR last season as the replacement for Pat Cummins and he was bought again by the franchise this season. However, with the availability of Pat Cummins this season, it is doubtful whether Tim Southee will play even a single match for them. KKR can use only 4 foreign players in their playing XI and with Andre Russell, Pat Cummins and Sunil Narine’s spot already fixed, they will have to choose their fourth overseas player without any mistake.
5. Mitchell Santner – Mitchell Santner was bought by his former side Chennai Super Kings in the IPL 2022 Mega Auction but with Ravindra Jadeja in the team, CSK already have a very able Indian spinner-allrounder and will thus not want to fill up an overseas spot by using Mitchell Santner. Santner player only 2 matches for CSK in IPL 2020 and 4 matches in IPL 2019.