Former Australian cricketer Michael Slater has been arrested over a domestic violence incident. The ex-Aussie batsmen was arrested in Sydney on Wednesday. Michael Slater’s manager Sean Anderson declined to comment on the reports.
Australian media reported that New South Wales police had visited his home on Wednesday morning and then took him into custody. He was charged with using a “carriage service to menace/harass/offend and stalk/intimidate intend fear physical harm”, police said. The charges related to harassment via phone or social media and stalking came after reports of a domestic violence incident on October 12.
Also Read:- 4 Players that Mumbai Indians can retain ahead of the Mega Auction
The incident is said to have been occurred last week and the police are looking into the matter.
“Officers attached to the Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command commenced an investigation yesterday [on Tuesday] after receiving reports of a domestic violence incident alleged to have occurred on Tuesday 12 October 2021,” NSW Police said in a statement on Wednesday.
“Following inquiries, detectives attended a home at Manly about 9:20 a.m. and spoke with a 51-year-old man. He has since been arrested and taken to Manly police station,” NSW Police said in a statement on Wednesday.
Slater has been granted conditional bail and is due to appear in the court next month.
Michael Slater was an opening batsman who played 74 tests from 1993-2001 and 42 ODI matches before becoming a fixture on Australian TV screens as a cricket commentator for 15 years. After three years of service with the Australian broadcaster, Slater was dumped from Seven Network’s cricket commentary team last month.
Also Read:- VIDEO : Rishabh Pant Finished The match In Dhoni Style
The 51-year-old caused a controversy back in May this year after a furious tirade against Prime Minister Scott Morrison on social media.
Slater criticized the Prime Minister after the government banned Australians returning from India after the 1st leg of IPL as the Asian country battled a major covid-19 outbreak.
“If our government cared for the safety of Aussies, they would allow us to get home. It’s a disgrace!!” Slater tweeted in May.
“Blood on your hands PM. How dare you treat us like this. How about you sort out quarantine system.
“I had government permission to work on the IPL but I now have government neglect.
“And for those who think this is a money exercise. Well, forget it. This is what I do for a living and I have not made a penny having left early.”
Prime Minister Scott Morrison labelled Michael Slater’s tweets as ‘absurd’.
Also Read:- VIDEO : Best Yorker of the Match By Jasprit Bumrah